February 14, 2012

Javier, 5 years later and still multitasking




These first 2 pictures of Javier Landázuri are from 5 years ago, my first solo trip to Tomatlán. It was only my second week in Mexico, ever. With only an adventurous desire to immerse myself in the language, and SPAN 101 from the U of Idaho under my belt... Once I arrived, I felt I was on Mars. I understood maybe 1% of what I heard around me.
To hear someone at the corner internet place ask me in English, "Where are you from?" and then, "Moscow? Oh I've been there," was a sudden blessing.
Javier had previously been on the Turtle trip/Intercambio to Moscow. He also lived in the US for awhile after that. For me, being able to ask some questions in English was immensely helpful that first month. And he turned into my go-to guy for all things internet. I remember... there was always a lo-o-o-o-ong line waiting for his expertise, and so "just 5 minutes" for Javier could mean 5 hours for me. All the same, I will never forget his helpfulness.
The next four winters, I saw little of him. His brother Paco seemed to be in charge of Punto Internet.
Until yesterday, when Javier greeted me in the Supermercado Colmena. He introduced me to his bright and lovely esposa, Julia. And further surprise...they are expecting their first baby in October!
Not a surprise: They both multi-task muchisimo. They own and manage Julia's internet business and Javier's five tiendas, which right now requires traveling every weekday between Tomatlán and Morelos, where they live. I think they are both aware that things will need to slow down a bit come October...
Meantime, Morelos is quite close to Pérula, the wonderful beach, so I made plans to snag a ride down with them one day soon.
Javier says hello to Lee Anne E. and all his Moscow friends!