February 23, 2012

ADHD Paradise + Maestro Fútbol

This place is a paradise for an ADHD gringa. I literally NEVER know what I'm going to find when I step out the front door of my posada. My most important lessons so far: Don't have too many expectations and just go with the flow... never EVER go anywhere without my camera... and keep it charged at all times.
Just last Friday morning, I thought I was headed to "my" Cyber around the corner to hook up... but it was closed. So I hoofed it to another cyber place a few blocks away... where they were nice enough, but I couldn't get into their system. (No surprise. The only reason I get into "my" place's system is because Marea Elena lets me pull the connection out of one of her computers and stick it into my laptop.)
OK... so now I was only 3 blocks from Carlo and Lety's casa (Ashley's parents... the very first family I met here) and I knew they wouldn't mind if I sat outside on their patio and used their internet. (The password was already on a post-it note on my keyboard)... Sure enough it worked and I collected my email.
After 20 minutes Ashley's brother Ivanhue (who teaches at the same school as his mom is principal now) arrived. He was off from work, and headed to the bank. I asked if I could snag a ride, since I was tired of schelpping my computer around.
Sure... but first we stopped by the fútbol field, because his wife Abigail was supposed to be cooking posole for... the tournament where the maestros and maestras had been competing in intramural soccer, basketball and volleyball for two afternoon. (¿?... I'm never really sure of days and schedules here!)
But I was in time to catch the final round of the men teachers' soccer tournament... complete with wonderful fresh ceviche,
tacos con frijoles, posole, and this fabulous grilled fish... There was meat too, but I passed on that. (I didn't pass on the beer.) What an afternoon!


The picture at the bottom is of Alicia 'Licha' the maid at Doña Rebeca's (my posada, where I started out from) with her son... who was, along with captain Javier Santana (from La Prepa... Moscow turtle trippers will know him) on the winning team!