July 15, 2009

Shipwreck Beads - A trip!

Normally I do not like to shop, but I make an exception for beads, and especially when I get a chance to visit Shipwreck Beads in Lacey WA. It's home of "The World's Largest Selection of Beads". Here I am ready to check out (both those carts are mine) with 30+ kilos of glass size 6/0 seed beads, the size we used in the first Million Bead Project. I'm a little nervous (the kind of nervous you get when you're about to spend a large chunk of money) but I have been buying beads from this company for many years. They have THE broadest selection of high quality beads, in one place, that I have found anywhere. I'm pretty sure that only the factories in Czechoslovakia would have more!
The visit was even more fun after
I got a chance finally to meet the owner, Glenn Vincent, his very capable store manager and HR person (as well as beader extraordinaire and teacher) Carol Bauer, and others such as Pat, who helped me from the warehouse, and Angela up front at the check out.
The whole staff at Shipwreck, a family owned business for 40 years, has always been friendly and helpful over the phone. But now it's even more fun to do business when I can picture some more faces.
Among the 16.5 billion beads in the store right now (Glenn's figure) can you see me hiding in the warehouse?